We’re (still) heating things up in Chicago this week. And I’m not just talking about the weather. At least in our family, we’re cranking up the grill and enjoying a few more backyard dinners as we close out summer.
Many people automatically associate “grilling” with meat, but this method is also fantastic for cooking vegetables and fruits like asparagus, pineapple and so much more. Vegetables or fruits taste incredibly flavorful when they’re cooked on a grill and you can easily prepare a healthy dinner or side dish in little time. One of my favorite weekday dinners to make are these grilled potato and portobello pouches. It takes no time to chop the potatoes and mushrooms, season them and in under 20 minutes you’ll have a delicious meal.
Whether you’re stepping away from cooking up meat on the grill, or if meat just isn’t part of your diet, these pouches are packed with flavor and are filling! If you want to make a tasty meal in under 20 minutes, take a peek below at this simple recipe. If you’re trying it out, I’d love to hear how it went!
Grilled Potato & Portobello Pouch
(1 pouch makes 1 serving)
- 1 medium potato, cubed (I like Russet or Yukon Gold)
- ¼ small onion, sliced
- 1 medium portobello mushroom, sliced
- 2 - 3 Tbl olive oil
- Salt/pepper, to taste
- Aluminum foil (recommend to cut into 12” x 12” squares)
- Parchment paper (recommend to cut into 12” x 12” squares)
- Heat grill to medium high heat. Make aluminum foil squares to fit ingredients. A 12"x12" piece is usually enough.
- Place a layer of parchment paper on top of the aluminum foil.
- Layer the cubed potatoes, sliced onions and topped with the sliced portobello on the parchment paper/aluminum foil square. Drizzle with olive oil, and season to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Lift foil edged and fold to make a well-sealed “pouch”.
- Place on grill for about 15-20 min. Or until bottom layer of potatoes are lightly brown and crispy to your liking.